Restaurant: Mazunte

Welcome to my first post! I'm so excited to have the opportunity to share with you my adventures in the best city in the world- Cincinnati, Ohio. I'll give you a little background on myself first... I am a Dietetics student at Miami University. I absolutely love food and my favorite thing to do is find new places to eat and drink. During my free time, you can usually find me cooking new recipes or exploring the city with my best friends.

The name of my blog comes from my University's motto- "Love & Honor". Miami is such a special place to my family and me. While I was growing up, we visited Oxford every single summer. I have some of the best memories of eating Skyline Chili in Uptown Park and loving every second of it. I'm so happy to be the fourth person in my family to attend Miami, and I truly believe that "love & honor" is a great way to live.

Miami and food are my two favorite things at the moment, so I thought a blog dedicated to the both of them was really fitting. And I thought that writing my very first post on one of my absolute favorite restaurants was pretty fitting too. Mazunte Taqueria in Oakley is one of those places that you want to eat once a day, every day, for the rest of your life. The very first time I ever went, I ordered it to-go, and drove 20 minutes to Clifton to have lunch with my dad. This was not a good idea. The tacos were soggy, and the rice was cold. I was extremely disappointed. But I knew I needed to give it a second chance, because I couldn't understand how soggy tacos and cold rice could still be bursting with layers of flavor.

The next time I went, I think I died and went to taco heaven.
I ordered the chicken tostadas, which are chicken, black bean puree, spinach, pickled red onion, avocado salsa, salsa roja, crema, and queso fresco piled on top of crispy tortillas. Every single bite you take is filled with flavor. The ingredients meld perfectly and taste so fresh and delicious.

My boyfriend ordered the tacos. They come with 3 to an order, and he ordered the beer battered fish taco, taco dorado (chicken), and shredded pork.

I would recommend both of those options off the menu, I've never been able to finish a plate from Mazunte, but I can tell you that it tastes delicious eaten cold in front of your fridge at midnight when you're craving a snack.




I've also tried the memelitas and enchiladas.


Memelitas are similar to the tostadas but the base tortillas are soft and doughy. The enchiladas were amazing too. However, the star of this meal was the pico de gallo. My family has been to Mexico four times, and we always loved the fresh, chunky salsa they would serve before every meal. It's not like regular restaurant style salsa you get at most Mexican restaurants here- it has chunks of tomato, onion and cilantro and splashed with lime juice. We have never found a more authentic pico de gallo here in the States until we tried Mazunte's. It feels just like we are sitting at a beachside cafe snacking on some chips and salsa!
Finally, I want to talk about Mazunte's new Sunday brunch menu.


I've never had chilaquiles, but I've always wanted to try them. I figured that Mazunte would be the best place to try them, because well, it's the best Mexican food I've had north of the border. I was not disappointed. Every bite was bursting with flavor and the sauce was just fantastic. I couldn't stop eating it even though I was about to explode.
















Overall, I would recommend Mazunte to anybody who asks for a good lunch spot in Cincinnati. The food is fresh, the service is wonderful, and it really makes you feel like you've taken a trip to Mexico. It's definitely a Cincinnati staple. Check it out and let me know your thoughts!

Website: http://mazuntetacos.com/
Address: 5207 Madison Road Suite 100 Cincinnati, OH 45227

Comments

Popular Posts