A Week in the Life of a Dietetic Intern (2/40)


Second week as an OSU Dietetic Intern down! So far it's been great and I've been learning SO MUCH. Can't wait to put it all into practice in a couple short weeks. 

Monday
  • Today was the first day of the "clinical core" portion of the internship. For the next two weeks we will be focusing on all things clinical- writing chart notes, talking about disease states, etc. Today we talked about general hospital knowledge, writing ADIME notes, and how to present a case study. 
  • In the evening my friends and I went over to my boyfriend's for a few pickleball games :)
Dinner Before Pickleball

Tuesday
  • Today we were able to ask recent graduates of the internship questions. It was really helpful to hear about their experience and know we will be well prepared for the future after these short nine months. We also learned about the dietitian's role in eating disorders, diabetes care, and more about charting ADIME notes and presenting patients to preceptors. 
  • After the internship another intern came over to our apartment for dinner. My roommate and I made lentil and brown rice chili in the Instant Pot and it is insanely easy- saute diced onions and peppers in some olive oil. Once those are soft add oregano, chili powder, cumin, and diced garlic. Toast that for a while then add 3/4 cup lentils, 3/4 cup brown rice, 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, and 1 can tomatoes and green chiles. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes then NPR for 15 minutes. Stir in 1 cup of cheese and enjoy :)

Instant Pot Lentil and Brown Rice Chili

Wednesday
  • Today was a training day for "Simple Suppers", a grant funded program through Head Start in the Columbus area. I am a part of a group of interns that will be traveling to an elementary school in the Columbus area once a week to teach children and their caregivers how to cook healthy meals and enjoy them as a family. I am very excited for this opportunity!

Mirror Lake in the Morning

Simple Suppers Training

  • Later in the day I went to Corepower Yoga for a yoga class and I enjoyed it so much! They have a first week free promotion and I'm excited to explore more classes for the next week. 
  • After yoga my friend and I went to Happy Hour at Hadley's in German Village. It was such a fun atmosphere with the open windows and the specials were amazing! I got two appetizers and two drinks for $15!

Pierogies

Chicken Nachos

Truffle Fries

Watershed Gin and Tonic
Thursday
  • Today we were at Columbus Public Health learning about WIC and all of the amazing things that they do for women in Franklin County. It was so informative and made me excited to start my WIC rotation at Nationwide Children's Hospital in about six weeks!
  • I met my mom at the Tanger Outlets in Jeffersonville for a little shopping- it's a perfect halfway point between Cincinnati and Columbus. 
  • After I drove back to Columbus I met my boyfriend in Bexley for dinner. It's about halfway between my apartment and his house and it is such a cute, fun little area right next to Capital University. We ate at Giuseppe's Ristrovo and everything was phenomenal- we sat at the bar for the happy hour drink and appetizer specials and I can say that the meatballs were the best meatballs I have ever had in my life!
Meatball Appetizer 
Lobster Ravioli


Negroni and Last Word

Bruschetta 
Cacio e Pepe in a Parmesan Cheese Bowl


Friday
  • Today was training for the Wexner Center's Epic Medical Record Keeping Software called IHIS- nothing too exciting!
  • After the training I stopped by Giant Eagle Market District and picked up some ingredients for Jucy Lucy Burgers and Blueberry Pie Bars. Everything was soooo good (even though I undercooked the burgers a tad at first- oops! I'm still getting my technique down). I got the recipes from NYT Cooking if you are interested in making them. 
Jucy Lucy Burger with Baked Fries

Blueberry Pie Bars

Blueberry Pie Bars

Saturday
  • Drove home really quickly for a dentist appointment and had lunch with my dad at the new Jason's Deli location on Mason Montgomery Rd. It's nice being close enough to home to be able to pop down every once and a while and say hello to my parents and my dog :)
  • In the evening my boyfriend and some friends went to the BrewDog Annual General Mayhem Beer, Music, and Food Festival. There were a ton of beers on tap from breweries all over the country, there were local food trucks, and lots of exciting bands including Manchester Orchestra. It was a great time and I would love to be able to go next year! One of our favorite beers was Hawkes Cider Bar Alcoholic Ginger Beer- they are based in London but were bought by BrewDog so it should be coming to America soon!
Entrance to the Festival

BrewDog Sign

Free Can Upon Entrance

Tortilla Food Truck Elotes

Mexican Street Corn

Quesadilla from Tortilla

Hawkes Cider Bar

Sunday
  • Today was a relaxing day spent shopping at Easton Towne Center. My boyfriend and I had Cheesecake Factory for lunch and couldn't believe the calorie counts on some of the menu items! Glad my dietetics schooling is rubbing off on him ;)
This was a fun, food and friend-filled week! I'm excited for this upcoming four day week and then a relaxing Labor Day Weekend. I hope you enjoy your week too!






















Comments

Popular Posts