A Week in the Life of a Dietetic Intern (1/40)

This is it! The first week of the rest of my life!! I have been waiting for this week since I matched with the Ohio State University Human Nutrition Dietetic Internship program back in April. I am all settled into my apartment in Columbus and ready to be a Buckeye! I thought that it would be helpful for myself to reflect on as well as any other aspiring dietetic interns to read about my journey for the next 9 months as a dietetic intern. I will be documenting the things I do during my internship hours as well as fun things I find around the city of Columbus. So here goes a recap of my first week at OSU :)

Monday
  • Woke up early to get used to my schedule and did a quick workout in my apartment's gym. 
  • Drove to OSU to get a background check/my badge photo. 
  • Worked on finishing up some summer homework at Stauf's Coffee Roasters in Grandview.

  • Laid by the pool and practiced my speech for the first day of Orientation. 
  • Played in a pickleball tournament at my boyfriend's house (they have friends come over every Monday for some friendly pickleball competition :)
Tuesday 
  • Drove to Polaris and went back to school shopping with my cousin. 
  • Got my nails done at La Vie Nails in Grandview- highly recommend!
  • Attended the Taste the Future event at Columbus State Community College. It is a fundraiser that they host every year that showcases over 30 restaurants, catering groups, and hospitality groups from around the Columbus area. It was so much fun and there was such amazing food!









Wednesday
  • First day of my DI!

  • Today was orientation so we spent a lot of time talking about logistics like homework, rotations, how to contact preceptors, how to log hours, and much more. 
  • One of our first assignments was to prepare a Ted Talk to present at orientation. It was nerve wracking to present in front of everyone on the very first day but it was fun to write it! I wrote mine on mindfulness and how it can help us during our internship :)
  • A few interns and I ate outside in front of Mirror Lake- it's a dream come true being on Ohio State's campus!
  • After the day was over around 3 my roommate and I cooked dinner. I went to Giant Eagle Market District (the most amazing place ever) and picked up some Ohio City Pasta, a zucchini, a red pepper, a sweet onion, some basil, and a tub of burrata. At home I sauteed the chopped vegetables in some olive oil until they were soft. Then I added chopped tomatoes and let simmer for a while while I boiled some salted water. In went the pasta for a minute and a half and in the meantime I stole some water from the pot and put it in my sauce to give it a little extra liquid. Then I drained the noodles and tossed them with the sauce, plated, and topped with burrata cheese. Yum!!


  • After dinner I did a quick workout and picked up some packages then relaxed and read my current book- "Moloka'i" before bed. 
Thursday

  • Up early and on Ohio State's campus for another day of Orientation. Today we spent most of the time talking about counseling and Motivational Interviewing skills. Julie Palmer from Dietitian in your Kitchen spoke to us about ways to connect with clients during counseling sessions. 
  • For dinner my boyfriend and I went to Aab India in Grandview for Happy Hour. It's a great deal! We had a nice time walking around Grandview and taking in the sights :)






Friday

  • Half day spent at Nationwide Children's Hospital learning about pediatric nutrition!
  • My roommate and I spent the evening on the Short North. We started at Lincoln Social Rooftop Bar then moved onto Forno for our 5 o'clock reservations and happy hour. After that we met some friends at the Short North Pint House and then eventually found ourselves at CRMD for some late night ice cream. 









Saturday 

  • Met my boyfriend at the Fox in the Snow Cafe for coffee then we moved over to Cosecha Cocina for brunch :)





  • Spent the rest of the day at the pool at my apartment!
  • In the evening my boyfriend and I went to the Columbus Food Truck Festival. There were so many options and everything was so good!




  • After the food truck festival we went to the Short North and had a few cocktails and walked around and explored. 





Sunday

  • Breakfast at the Lox in the Short North. 
  • Shopping around the North Market.
  • Grocery shopping at Giant Eagle Market District and meal planning for the week. 



  • Laid by the pool until time to get ready for the next week!

Comments

Popular Posts